Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Dabbing in the Orient

Hi all! Remember me?

Last week I finally got to climb on some real rocks out here in Singapore. The Dairy Farm is an area with a few sport routes in an area that was a quarry at some point in the past. These days it's more or less jungle, which makes for some dramatic approaches.

Climbing there is a little risky, since the blasted rock can apparently come down at very bad times. However, I was climbing with a few folks who run the local gym that I've been climbing at, and they seemed to know what they were doing.

After some delays owing to all the belay devices being with someone who had wandered off to get some food, we climbed a 5a and followed it up with a 6a+ (about 5.6 and 5.10a respectively). All the climbs were super slopey, and the humidity didn't help matters. Nor did my overall lack of skillz. Still I had a lot of fun.

Cap it off with a bit of abseiling and a quick sprint back to civilization while being pursued by an absolutely epic thunderstorm and you've got a more-or-less perfect day.

Great to see all the updates. Keep 'em coming, wherever you are!

No comments: